Become A Docent
BECOME A DOCENT
Would you like to help people connect to nature through the living art of bonsai with tens of thousands of visitors from around the world? Become a docent! We are looking for docents who love working with the public and enjoy learning about the art of bonsai for the 2021 season. Virtual training and virtual docent shifts will be available in 2021 due to the ongoing pandemic. No bonsai experience is necessary to become a docent.
A docent is a trained volunteer museum guide and an essential link between the public and the Museum. The word docent comes from the Latin word docere, to teach. Docents give tours (in-person* and/or virtual), perform gallery duty, and assist in educational programs.
- Be part of a team of skilled educators who love to connect people with the living art of bonsai
- Personal and intellectual growth. Docents have continuing opportunities to learn about art, bonsai, the Museum’s collection, teaching and learning
- An opportunity to meet and interact with visitors from around the world
- A love of art, bonsai, nature and/or teaching
- Ability to meaningfully engage with members of our diverse community
- Excellent communication
- Reliability and commitment
- Ability to volunteer approximately four to eight hours a month