Become A Docent
Give the Gift of Time
A docent is a trained, volunteer museum guide and an essential link between the public and the Museum. The word docent comes from the Latin word docere, to teach. Docents give tours, perform gallery duty, and assist in educational programs, including our self-guided field trips. We are currently recruiting for the 2019 season. Applications close on January 18th, 2019.
Docents are required to attend three trainings at the Museum and shadow a current docent for 2-3 shifts before they are given their own shifts. Trainings are held every winter. We are currently recruiting new docents for the 2019 season. Please click here to fill out an application. Applications close on January 18, 2019.
Docents are given the opportunity to further their learning through demonstrations, excursions, and online learning about exhibitions, the permanent collection, and essential skills as communicators/teachers to the public.
Docents are asked to commit to 2 shifts (4 hours each) each month and may be asked to assist with special events and programs. Docents are scheduled April-October.
- Being part of a team of skilled educators who love to connect people with the living art of bonsai
- Personal and intellectual growth. Docents have continuing opportunities to learn about art, bonsai, the collection, teaching, and learning.
- An opportunity to meet and interact with visitors from around the world
- A love of art, bonsai, nature and/or teaching
- Ability to engage meaningfully with members of our diverse community
- Excellent communicator
- Reliability and commitment